Motorcycle Safety Tips
Spring is here! Those who ride motorcycles always anticipate those beautiful, bright warm sunny days to get the bike out and go for a tour. This is a fun and relaxing way to enjoy your spring, summer and fall.
Along with riding, comes a lot of responsibility. As a rider you need to be much more diligent and drive much more defensively than when driving a car. The reality is that motorcyclists are 30 times more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than in a car according to the IIHS.
So here are a few tips that can help keep you safer on the road:
- Take an approved Safety course. These courses can teach you the basics of riding, advanced driving techniques, and also how to perform evasive emergency maneuvers. See the link to Canada Safety Council for more information on the course(s) offered.
- Be a defensive driver. Keep an eye out for cars suddenly changing lanes, for those who are pulling up and out from side streets, and for those that run red lights.
- Don’t tailgate. You need to give yourself a chance to react to items or debris that the vehicle (s) ahead of you can either run over or avoid.
- Keep an eye out for people who are on their cell phones or texting. Make eye contact with the drivers in other vehicles whenever possible.
- Wear the right gear. A helmet will help protect your head from a potential fatal head injury or a brain injury. A helmet that is approved (CSA) is the law in our 10 provinces and 3 territories. For even further protection, you could wear a full faced helmet.
- You will want to wear clothing that will protect you from bugs, wind chill, cold, debris and road rash. There is now an array of choices available that can protect your hands, head, legs, torso and feet. They now make the protective clothing with materials that are, lightweight, breathable, and stylish. Especially for the night time riding, choose highly visible and reflective clothing.
Have Fun and Ride Safe!
For more information on motorcycle insurance or to request a quote, visit our website at http://bit.ly/1V9pmcI .
At Pearson Insurance...you will deal with real people.
These are people who will remember you. You will have the comfort of knowing that you will be able to deal with the same broker, so they know and understand your insurance requirements and concerns. We offer choice. We have a number of insurance companies that we can check to make sure you are getting the best policy for the best price. Our Brokers are licensed, professionally trained, and offer expertise that allows them to provide top notch customer service to protect what matters to you and your family. We can leave you with the peace of mind knowing that you are dealing with a brokerage that has been in business since 1935!
Why not come and meet our team. Just click here to see the friendly face at the other end of the phone!