It is that time of year when winter sets in and the very cold air sets in across our country.
This year has been particularly cold and is hitting us early. We just wanted to give a couple of quick tips about frozen pipes:
- Do not use any open flames to thaw your pipes. That can lead to a whole other set of problems.
- If you can, call a heating contractor or a plumber and find out what needs to be done, or have them come to your home or property.
- You will need to locate the blockage. Some say to leave both your taps open (hot and cold) just enough to allow a trickle of water, to prevent a backup of pressure.
- Turn the heat up in your home or room.
- You could try hot water with salt too.
What you do really depends on how much of a blockage you have and the knowledge that you have to fix it. The best situation is to contact a professional that can help either guide you through the process or have them take care of it for you.
For more information, check out the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction or the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Other questions on home insurance? Contact us at 432-1550 or email us at email@example.com